Wednesday 19 October 2016

Fire watch case study - Flat landscape

Fire-watch is a game based around the concept of keeping an eye out for fires and managing the forrest. The game also become popular from a specific piece of concept art depicting a landscape wide shot created in adobe photoshop.



When I first saw the original artwork I had an epiphany that the artwork in this shape and form would be perfect content to use image manipulation techniques to create the parallax effect. With this concept in mind I created an exercise to develop a better understanding of how the artwork was created in preparation for animating the piece.


I really enjoyed the creation process for this piece, it involved generating a tree asset and defining it as a brush preset to create the trees. The mountains were created with a combination of the lasso tool and the fill tool. This piece stands to exemplify that when creating a flat landscape piece, less is more.

In reflection to my case study I used the developed style and technique to create my own original design outcome, I felt that this landscape represented greenland so made sure to include birch trees (I hear there most common tree).

Overall I enjoyed experimenting with new techniques in photoshop and I am keen to express the final result of the image manipulation technique next time! I'll make sure to keep you all posted!



No comments:

Post a Comment