Wednesday 10 May 2017

Unit 6 - Application, Exploration and Realisation

Unit 6 is the final project that I shall be creating whilst studying level 3 Animation, games and VFX. This unit is my opportunity to demonstrate all the skills I have learnt studying over the 2 years of this course. Unlike the other projects I have created this year, this project has no constraints and I am free to decide what I would like to create and why.

Having decided to continue at Newcastle college studying the animation and illustration foundation, I have decided to take the time to really focus on creating industry standard content. The Illustration that I shall be creating shall serve as a background for the second stage of this unit, an animation. 


The main aim of this unit is to create content that demonstrates the best I can produce at my current level. This fact in mind when conducting my workflow, I shall ensure that I manage my time well and utilise useful and an effective creative process.

The Illustration
In order to create a high quality illustration, it important for myself that I follow a workflow that guides me in a well-established creative direction. The process that I shall follow is:

  • Brainstorm and moodboarding (Pinterest)
  • Thumbnail sketches
  • Initial full page sketch
  • Final inking (Fineliner)
  • Colouring
  • Shading
  • Study professional illustrations
  • Polish and perfect
  • Final edit
Mood board (Pinterest)
Before I start my thumbnail sketches and begin to explore the visual expression of my background illustration. I find it effective and important to make use of good reference through an inspirational mood board. This mood board does not only inspire but allows me enough material to study that I can really push the boundaries of my artwork. 

 

 
Overall, I found that my biggest inspirations are from artist Jasmine Lai's background illustration work for Cartoon Networks 'Steven universe'. And Lane Garrisons background paintings for Federators 'Bee and puppycat'. Both sets of illustrations are crafted effectively with great emphasis on colour, value, composition and texture. When developing my background throughout the stages I shall use their work as reference to study and develop my own background.


Whose your facourite background artist? Comment below! 
Have a question? Want to get in contact? Email me at: Sickjujuu@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment