Friday 19 May 2017

Unit 6 - Background Line work

In my previous post, I explained in detail the direction that I wished to take the background illustration in reflection to key characteristics that the plot shall entail. As well as utilising knowledge from Marcos Mateu-mestre's book 'framed ink'. Following on from this creative process, the next stage is for me to explore and finalise line work that shall become the basis for the final illustration. 

My vision for the background illustrations style, theme and content was centred around an organic, wood furnished living area covered in plants with hints of magic from books potions and more! I wanted this room to feel homely, familiar in our era but at the same time with traces of excitement hinted in with fantasy. As previously stated my vision was influenced and inspired by artwork by Jasmine Lai and Lane Garrison regarding their professional background illustrative work. 



Above shows the final pencil illustration that I created in reflection to my inspiration. When exploring the vision for my illustration I made sure to pay close attention to making this room feel organic and lived in. For example when drawing out the plants within the room I had a reference folder to hand that I could draw upon when I needed the guidance for creating natural looking plant life.

Due to the nature of the later animations plot, it was important that I made room for key components that would make great influence. These components Included, cat stuff/cat toys, a table, an entrance and a garden. Satisfied with the design at this stage as far as composition, content and vision are concerned it was then time for me to ink in the final line work.


As an artist it is important that I take great consideration into how I approach adding line work. It is important because when inking any illustration the opportunity arises to utilise line variation in such a fashion that it influences the way in which an object is perceived. An example of this is:

When drawing in the lines of the string on the hanging basket, by taking away segments and leaving gaps in the string it allows the communication to the audience that this string is very thin. By taking consideration into how I use line variation and for that face value, I can push the potential the line work has when conveying information to an audience. 

Now that the line work has been inked and scanned onto the computer the next stage stage in my process is to shade and colour my illustration. This stage shall allow me to further push the potential in conveyance. 

Do you like my illustration so far? Comment below!  
Have a question? Want to get in contact? Email me at: Sickjujuu@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment